Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Special Occasion

It has been a few days, due to limited time & internet access at work,and honestly, a real lack of things that I wanted to talk about...I think sometimes the fun can run out of doing a thing like a blog if you feel as though you're obligated to talk about something, instead of just talking about the things about which you have formed an opinion.

NFL WEEKEND PREDICTION: since I did so well in the pool at work on playoff weekend 1 ( a perfect 0-4) I figured I'd give it a shot now that the pool is narrowed down to 2 games:

Green Bay over Chicago , & Pittsburgh over Jets. Personally,I'm indifferent to the NFC game, even though I dislike neither & was a Bears fans as a kid ( loved the Super Bowl Shuffle...:) But DEFINITELY want Jets to beat the Steelers....Its rare when any teams fans are more arrogant & obnoxious than any NY team, but Pittsburgh gets the nod in this catagory.
**********************************

On January 22,1993, I tag teamed with Shane Shoemaker to face the tandem of Nate Mcclung & Doug Grubb in front of about 400 people in the old livestock arena in Boonsboro,Md.

Last night, on January 22,2011, in front of about 200 people at the Civic Center in Ranson,Wv, I officially kicked off my 19th year in wrestling, with a very unique & special bonus: my oldest son, Jeffrey, wrestled his first pro match. We now have the distinction of wrestling our respective first matches on the same date!

I remember when I started having a conversation with my brother Shawn, who is the person most responsible for me becoming a fan at the age of 8- he told me that one of two things would happen: I'd either stay in it forever, or I would see all its (wrestlings) flaws, learn to hate it, & walk away from it, as both a participant & fan, forever.

I am proud to say, even after all these years, its still the former & not the latter- I love an audience, I love the action, but most of all, I love the people who come up to me during intermission, talking about how they remember me doing this or that at various events over the years- you can't help but be proud of something like that, and I definitely am. Its been my honor to entertain you all.

I've never been a big star, never made big money, & that isn't likely to happen at this stage on my life- but I followed my dream, made a few bucks, met & befriended some great people I would have likely never met otherwise, been to some towns so small they don't appear on maps,& had a great time doing it- and I'm not gonna stop anytime soon!

My son has refereed since he was 16 years old, and has become quite good, in my unbiased opinion; last night, he did quite well for a young man with about 3 days of actual wrestling training- even though, in all reality, hes kinda been training & preparing for this moment his entire life.....and, nervous as he was, when his moment came, he made the most it- which all any of us can do.

Special thanks to the good Doctor, Doc Gregory, for his assistance in getting Jeff ready for this moment- you really took one for the team, brother! :)


So, until next time...
SSS

2 comments:

  1. From Cherie:
    Congratulations Jeffrey! Wish I would have been there to see it. We're proud of the both of you.
    And, Shane, it's not about the money-you should be proud of yourself for following your dreams & for all the memories and friendships you've made along the way. Some things still can't be bought with a price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have made it as well.
    La Jeff gave me the full post-game wrap up.

    ReplyDelete