Friday, May 6, 2011

Welcome back....I have had several requests recently to start blogging again, and, largely due to a limited things to write about, I hadn't- that and of course the business of life...But I do however have something one my mind today, and I would like to thank my brother, Shawn, and his blog (thoughtsofrs.blogspot.com) for the inspiration.

Shawn blogged today about the resignation of Maryland Head Basketball Coach Gary Williams, and that his style of coaching perhaps being a thing of the past- the type of coach who doesn't coddle, yells alot, & demands performance.

I can relate to this, but in a different way- I suffer through much frustration in watching the new, up and coming wrestlers, & how they take a similiar attitude in regards to learning how to do things in the wrestling ring.

I don't want to come across as one of those "it was better in my day" type of guys, because in many ways, it really wasn't better- but in alot of ways, it truly was.

I remember my first training sessions with my mentor, the late Neil Superior- I had alot of drive, but the pieces werent quite in place yet for me to become a decent worker, & while he wasnt beligerent, Neil made no bones about the mistakes & how to correct them. And I listened- intently- to EVERY word he said.

I would stay past my own personal training time to watch others- whether they be more or less advanced than I- because I wanted to learn EVERYTHING possible.

I also sought out the advice of the older veterans that happened by the school, watched them work, & asked them to watch my matches and provide an honest critque of what I was doing.

Once I started actually working in front of crowds, I did as I was told- I was in no position to challenge the knowledge of those whom had did this for years before I, so I did many things that I wasn't thrilled with- I did mixed tags with midgets, fought a 45 year old woman, wrestled in cowboy boots & a suit in 95 degree weather, etc etc etc.

You may ask "WHY did you do all this stuff?" The answer is simple- I wanted to be in the professional wrestling business- it was honestly the only thing I ever wanted to do-and I wanted to have every possible experience that would help me to be better.

Therefore, I have never ever ask a wrestler on a card I promoted to do something I hadn't done- becuase if it makes the card better, its all worth it.

Fast forward to the "new generation"- alot of them a great group of athletes, far superior than myself & many of my contemporaries- great bodies, good looks, & in alot of cases, a completely lost group that refuses to learn.

Most the younger guys want to be coddled & treated like they are prodigys- an almost "diva" like existance where if you try to help them, they turn away from you like you have halitosis, and search for someone who will kiss their asses.

And if they don't like your methods (like trying to make them do things right) they will leave , go somewhere else, then claim that "they weren't using me right there"- ignoring the fact that if they were doing things right, you would have no choice but use them right

I've been critized for making trainees types set the ring, move chairs, hang posters, etc before they got into the ring- and alot of guys would rather go play somewhere with guys at their own skill level & act like big shots than work somewhere where there may be a few guys who can help them get better. Go figure.

I leave you with this final thought: is it more important to Think you are good, or to work hard and actually be good?

Until next time..whenever that may be....

SSS

No comments:

Post a Comment