Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Pro Wrestling" vs. "Sports Entertainment"

As I sit here at my desk, watching the first signifigant snow of our winter, I feel the urge to continue to deliver ( plague?) my "readership" with my thoughts and opinions on my particular area of knowledge (such as it is), professional wrestling.

My close friend Bobby Keller ( the name dropping continues!) posted a plug for this blog on his Facebook, calling this "a must read for anyone in wrestling" & that I "have one of the best minds in the wrestling business". Great compliments to be sure, and while I appreciate the words, I would definitely stop myself short of such acclaim.

Pro Wrestling is a funny thing-it has a different meaning to different people, and no two promoters interpretation of the game are identical. In the last few weeks, I have definitely drawn a line between the most common ways of "booking" (putting together a wrestling event, start to finish) and that divide is between the "sports entertainment" style that is commonplace amongst promoters whom have started operations within approximately the last 5-10 years, and the "pro wrestling" style of those whom were involved in promotion pre-2000.

Mind you, I'm not saying one side or the other is wrong- ultimately, the particular fan base should dictate to the promotion what they prefer to see;  In many cases, the "SE" promoters actually believe they are promoting a "PW" style (frequently refered to as "old school") So, in an effort to help anyone reading of what I think the major differences are philosophically, allow me, as the resident "best mind in wrestling", to share my observations regarding both styles.

Sports Entertainment Style:
1) a high premium on "microphone interaction" (not promos, theres a difference, and I'll explain later) between talents, sometimes as often as 5-6 different times per event
2) alot of "gimmick" bouts, usually kind of just thrown out there without a strong build up to the particular match
3) matches that often look more like "performance" than "competition"
4) musical introductions for "surprise" appearances ( run ins)
5) match finishes set up for pops( response) as opposed to building business

Pro Wrestling Style:
1) a clear, definable line between good & bad
2) promos building towards a match(matches) to increase crowd interest & awareness
3) a generally more believeable style of match, where the object of "winning" is apparent
4) finishes that either a) set up a return match or b) conclusively ending
5) "gimmick matches" that have generally been thought thru ahead of time, to build the interest in a particular match.

Now, that we have the basic differences established, allow me to define what I feel the differences are between "Microphone Interaction" & a "Promo".  A "Promo" is, simply put, a way to garner interest in a match- they participant(S) will a) speak from the heart b)speak the truth or the truth as they see it c) talk about the opponent d)why they want this match e) what they think will happen in this match

 "Microphone Interaction" while the intent is the same, usually is geared towards a) comedic elements or  b)over wrought ideas, which often confuse the audience as to whom is good & bad, and why they should care.

Believe it or not, these two cousins, different and yet similiar, often interwine.....which sometimes works out wonderfully, but most often don't.   In my interpretation of pro wrestling ( you now see what "side" I'm on) the audience needs to have a real emotional attachment or investment in the wrestler(s).....in essence, its the same as rooting for your favorite football,baseball,etc team.....you hurt when they hurt, you're hopeful as they struggle, you're excited when they rally, you're heartbroken when they lose,& estatic when they prevail- and the ups & downs of it makes you want to return next time, to see what perils your favs may be in, and how they persevere.

Once those elements are removed, its merely an "exhibition"-"Sports Entertainment", if you will- and, I have to admit, I've seen some outstanding exhibition or "SE" wrestlers over the last 18 years- guys who move for move, hold for hold, in the back & forth exchange, are quick & exciting- yet, to most fans, its largely a flurry of activity that is very hard to follow, much less invest in emotionally. Frequently, once the match ends, no one remembers the names of the guys they just watched- in comparision, its like watching the circus, or the Harlem Globetrotters- you may have been entertained, but once its over, you don't need to see it again for a long time, if ever.

I have alot of opinions of these matters, but I must conclude for now.....however, I strongly urge anyone reading to give me feedback-the floor is open, and I love a intelligent debate; all thoughts are welcome on the subject

SSS

No comments:

Post a Comment